“I couldn’t help it. I happen to have been born to do it.

I am sure that I would have been a rotten failure doing anything else.”


~ Ends Of The Earth ~


Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Recently In The Post


Perhaps, like myself and the friends I grew up with in the 1960's; you have retained a warm spot in your heart for the Classics Illustrated line of comics, excuse me... graphic novels.  

My first exposure to stories such as The Three Musketeers, Ivanhoe, and The Last of the Mohicans was through the pages of Classics Illustrated.  

Imagine my delight when I recently discovered that they had put out several Special Issues among which was No. 167A, Prehistoric World, in July of 1962.  A sumptuous 96 page full-colour issue which gives a highly condensed, and now terribly dated and somewhat racist overview of the evolution of life on Earth with an emphasis on Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Man.  

Imagine my further delight when I found that it also contained a four page rendering of the discovery of dinosaur eggs at the Flaming cliffs. Unlike other comic versions of the Central Asiatic Expeditions downloaded onto my blog over the years, the unnamed artist[s] at Classics Illustrated appear to have used original photos from the expedition as the source of inspiration.   

Here then for your enjoyment are pages 43 - 46; The Treasure of Flaming Cliffs.