“I couldn’t help it. I happen to have been born to do it.

I am sure that I would have been a rotten failure doing anything else.”


~ Ends Of The Earth ~


Monday, January 31, 2011

Arrived In My Mail Today

3000FC Roy Chapman Andrews stamp on decorative sheet. 
Issued in 2008.  Approx. 5 3/4" x 4 1/4"

The bulk of my collection is original books, photographs, letters, and other materials that were generated by or about Andrews during his life.  However,  I do also have a few modern pieces, often whimsical things like this that I find or are sent to me by friends.  This arrived in today's post from Thailand of all places.  The stamp is real, but I doubt that any were ever used in Unions des Comores as actual postage by the local inhabitants.  This is a Topical, generated by the government to satisfy stamp collectors and add a little to national revenue of this country located on Africa's east coast, north-west of Madagascar.  I looked it up and found that they issued a paleontology set that also includes Edwin Colbert, another stalwart of the AMNH.  I am happy to add this fun bit of ephemera to my collection.